What's there to do around Easby?
Being situated close to the N3 highway and sitting pretty much midway between the Northern & Central Drakensberg Valleys' as well as the Cathedral Peak/Didima Valley. We recommend a combination of these for day trips out into the area with your own vehicle. Best to focus on one region at a time to truly enjoy the region and what it has to offer.
Please enquire with Tish should you need maps & directions for any of the offerings in the are.
Some of the activities on the farm itself include...
- Swimming Pool
- Long nature walks with fantastic views
- Bird watching
- Darts & boardgames
- Motorbike and bicycle trails
- Motor bikes allowed.
Horse Trail Rides can be arranged at Three Tree Hill Lodge about 5kms down the road and the rides are set to suit the experience and pace of the riders. Inexperienced rides are approximately 30 – 45 minutes, while experienced rides 60 – 90 minutes.
Day trips close to Easby
Locally (Within half hour) +– 30km
THE BELOW LOCALLY LISTED OPTIONS TO BE BOOKED ON REQUEST THROUGH EITHER
Spion Kop Battle Experience @ R 699.00pp ( four and a half hours .)
Colenso ,Ladysmith ,Churchill Capture Site etc @ R 999.00pp (full day)
Guided Tours of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift The Anglo-Zulu Battles can be arranged on request @ R 990.00 pp + transport.
Sunset & Sunrise Boat Cruises ( game and bird viewing . rhino etc. ) @ R 499.00pp - plus park entrance of R 50.00 pp
Game Drives @ R 499.00pp - plus park entrance of R 45.00 pp
Horse Riding at Spionkop Reserve OR Three Tree Hill lodge
Northern Drakensberg Area (Royal Natal Park) +– 60km
Un-parallelled natural beauty in the mountains for hikes ranging between 1 hour – 7 hours based at Royal Natal Park. Hike alongside the Tugela River until you reach the Tugela gorge (7km – 5 hours) , where the world’s second highest waterfall tumbles down the sheer rock face. Route goes through alternative sections of protea veld & forest until the gorge is reached.
OR for the less strenuous option walk (or stroll with a push chair / wheelchair) to the Cascades waterfall. Walk along a (1 hour) Smooth, concreted walkway alongside the Mahai stream, under the shade of giant yellow wood trees. Remember to pack your costume for a refreshing swim at the end! (R40 per adult, R20 per child entrance)
All Out Adventure Centre provides entertainment for the whole family ranging from quad bike trails, cable tours, bridge swinging, paintball & mountain biking. (Various package deals)
Amphitheatre Golf course at Hlalanathi Resort. A Beautifully maintained and picturescue 9-hole course.
Authentic Village Tour with a community guide from the Amazizi area neighbouring the National Park. (R800 for half day)
Visit a Bushman Rock Art panel with a community guide in the Sigubudu Valley in the Royal Natal Park (R60 per person plus R40 per person entrance fee)OR with registered Guides from the AmaZizi Wilderness Group and the Mdlankomo Cultural and Rock art Group
Wowzulu Mazizini Join the WOWZULU team for a taste of village life.
Guided walks in the village, a tractor-trailer ride up the mountain or a lesson in weaving.
Let our storytellers enthrall you with their tales and our dancers get you moving!
Contact Pinky Ndlovu or Joslyn Walker
Tel: +27 31 303 5482 or +27 71 122 0881
If you are feeling peckish, then why not try the Tower of Pizza for something fun with great outdoor lunch options with a children’s play area. The Oak & Ale at Hlalanathi and Bingelela in Bergville also have some superb menus on the go!
Come pay Easby a visit!
Central Drakensberg Area (Champagne Valley/Cathedral Peak) +– 60km
Explore the beautiful central Drakensberg surrounds. This is a holiday-maker paradise with so many activities to choose from.
- Helicopter trips with Westline Aviation. Whether you decide to hover over the magnificent countryside of Northern KZN or soar above the Drakensberg peaks, you will get the opportunity to view truly breathtaking sights from a unique perspective
- uShaka Horse Trails: Explore the mountains on horseback. Different tours are available depending on your level of expertise. Explore the forests, the grass lands, the Zulu villages and the cave paintings under the supervision of an expert guide. Booking essential.
- Air Balloon trips with Drakensberg Ballooning. Drakensberg Ballooning offers scenic hot air balloon flights over KwaZulu-Natal with panoramic views stretching from the Amphitheatre in the Northern Drakensberg to Giants Castle in the Southern Drakensberg.
- Drakensberg Boys' Choir: Enjoy a world-class show as you listen to the beautiful sounds of these young voices.
- Dragon Rock Reptile Centre - Visit us for an exciting tour. Come and feel the reptiles and learn all about them. Anything from snakes to hedgehogs. We are open from Tuesday to Sunday from 10h00. Bookings are esential to avoid dissapointment.
Contact: Corniel Cell: +27 82 955 1404
- Didima Rock Art Centre: An internationally renowned Bushman Interpretative Centre situated about an hour’s drive away near Cathedral Peak Hotel. Tel: +27 36 488 8025.
- Rockslide: The Drakensberg just got a whole lot more enticing for mountain bikers with two great offerings from Rockslide Mountain Biking. Their base at the Dragon Peaks Mountain Resort in the Central Drakensberg is the perfect location for one-day and multi-day mountain biking AND/OR Trail run adventures. An extensive network of routes, that range from very steep and technical to easy-flowing single track something to really remember and not miss out on!
- Falcon Ridge Birds of Prey Centre: Enjoy an impressive presentation and show daily (except Fridays) and learn more about these fascinating creatures and the art of Falconry.
- Drakensberg Canopy Tours: The Drakensberg Canopy Tour is a fun and safe eco-adventure for the whole family. Situated near the Drakensberg Sun Hotel. Open 7 days a week in rain or sun. Book at Reception or contact them directly on +27 36 468 1981 or +27 83-661 5691.
- Champagne Castle Adventure Centre: Get the adrenalin pumping – whether it's paintball, tree top zip-lining, abseiling, geckoing (white water tubing), scootours, or mountain bike trails - this team has something for everyone not matter their age or fitness level.
- Four Rivers Rafting & Adventures: Fun-filled and exciting, this experienced team will take you on adventure to experience the terrain in a unique manner - from river rafting to quad biking, abseiling and much more.
- World-class hiking trails are everywhere to be found. Explore the central Drakensberg with the famous peaks that include Champagne Castle, Cathedral Peak, Monk's Cowl and Giants Castle. Together they make up one of the highest hiking places in the country and boast the most incredible views, enviable skies, open spaces, sheer rock faces, caves and waterfalls - enough to make up for lives overindulged in indoor, work focussed lifestyles.
- Golf: There are three amazing courses nearby, most notably the Champagne Sports Golf Club, one of the top 30 ranked courses in South Africa. With Monks Cowl Golf Club lying just next door with a fantastic little 9 hole. There is also Cathedral Peak Golf Club
- Arts & crafts and country stalls: Travel through the Berg and visit the quaint arts and crafts stalls on offer. Amongst others African Loomers makes beautiful hammocks and KwaZulu Weavers and Candle Factory has daily weaving demonstrations. Numerous other arts and crafts are located at Thokozisa, Cedarwood and Thamela Farm stalls. Also the quaint furniture and Antique shops that lie scattered around are a gem indeed.
- Deons’s Honey Products: “When the last bees light goes out, mankind will have only 4 years left to live”. Based at Scrumpy Jack’s about 12 minutes from the hotel. View active Killer Bees behind the safety of the glass hive or purchase a variety of medical products (Propolis) made from bees. Offer education presentations on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays. Tel: +27 36 468 1308.
- Cathedral Peak Wine Estate: With such a unique climate, in such a beautiful environment. It was sure that we would find a way to make wines of distinction. Nothing less will do as our heritage is deep and respectful. We welcome you to Cathedral Peak Wine Estate where we make wines with a clear sense of place. Tasting Room: +27 (0) 63 075 1123
- Restaurants: There will never be a reason to go hungry when in the Drakensberg. There is a wide range of businesses offering all sorts of cuisine with many weekly specials on the go. From Portuguese to Chinese. The central berg has you covered.